Now that the birds are chirping outside, Spring is on its way. And that means its time for a spring cleaning, bagpipe style.
It is now time to do that maintenance that has been put off.
- Check all hemp and replace any that is not 100%
- Check the air tightness of the bag. Season as required. Replace the bag if there are holes.
- Check the air efficiency of the reeds
- Break in a new pipe chanter reed if you don’t have a spare ready to go (I don’t, and my current one is at the end of its life. I’m going to break in 2).
- Make sure all parts are in good order. Reglue on the metal fittings that have fallen off, take some silvo to the tarnished ones.
- Run some bore-oil through the bores.
- Check the blowstick valve.
Stay tuned for a date when I will hold a drop-in class on bagpipe maintenance!